While building my Smart Home system I figured I might as well attach my Diskstation DS212 to the controls so I can turn it on and off at will. To make this work, I used the exec binding, the network health binding and the WOL binding combined into one neat little Switch:
After a day of experimentation with openHAB I finally decided to first build a prototype system, rather than cutting real wires and putting the actors in between. This is what my prototype looks like:
I must say it was in fact a good idea to start this way. The actors did not work yesterday for whatever reason, but after giving them a day to relax now and restarting my rPI they now work just fine. No more messages droppped no nothing. Maybe I will eventually figure out what the problem was, who knows.
On a different note, I tried out HomeGenie today as an alternative to openHAB and will give it a try. It seems a bit more intuitive and easier to setup. I do wonder if it also matches the openHAB capabilities and versatility. More updates soon.
End of last week I finally ordered the first few components to start my Smart-Home project. I am basing my setup on Z-Wave because I like the fact that it is an open standard plus there is a USB-controller I can plug into my RaspberryPI.
I’ve now ordered the following components to get started. The goal is to automate illumination of our driveway plus yard:
The ZStick goes straight into my Raspberry and that then runs openHAB. I am already positvely impressed by what openHAB can do. Configuring the binding is also straight forward so far – I have only attached the PIR sensor to trigger virtual light. I do hope to find the time to wire my two switch actors to the outdoor lighting this weekend. I’ll post some pictures as work progresses.