Home Smart Home – A Few Weeks Later

After a few attempts to get my Z-Wave network to work reliably I finally decided to maybe try something else for the outdoor lights. The Z-Wave setup did not have the range to cover my driveway and yard, unfortunately.

Now, I decided to go with the HomeMatic. That really worked like a charm from day one. My current setup now looks like illustrated on the following picture.

I use three HomeMatic Actors to switch the five lamps in my yard and driveway (2+2+1). The HomeMatic motion detector is used to measure lumincance as well and switches on the lights when it gets dark permanently. At nine o’clock it then goes into motion detector mode and only switches the lights on if motion is detected. In the morning, I also turn on the lights at seven or so and turn t hem off when it gets too bright or after nine o’clock, whichever comes first.

The Z-Wave Plugin Switch control a chain of lights at the moment. Once winter is over I will find other uses for it. Finally, the WALLC-S is used to turn on the lights outside manually and I am planning on installing the AEO_MULTISENS as a secondary motion detector at some point.

Control of course happens through my OpenHAB installation on my RaspberyPI that is now equipped with a Z-Wave Plus controller and also acts as the central control unit for the HomeMatic devices through a CCU2.

Of course I also use OpenHAB to turn my DiskStation DS212+ on and off.

Finally a working setup – now off to the next advenctures in home automation. Automatic roller shutters probably. Or finally installation a tablet-based control unit in my living room. Or probably both 🙂

Resetting Z-Wave devices

Since I bought a new Z-Wave controller recently (ZME_UZB which support Z-Wave PLUS) I was now facing an issue there I needed to remove a device from my old controller (ZME_Z-StickC). However, I did not have the old controller available.

Including Z-Wave devices that are already registered with another Z-Wave network does not work immediately. The device needs to be factory reset first.

Resetting the device is easy also without the original controller, once you know how:
Simply use ANY controller and put into EXCLUSION mode. Afterwards, follow the instructions for exclusion of your device (e.g. tripple-click one of the buttons on my switch).

After that, the device is excluded (from its original network, although another controller triggered the exclude) and thus reset to factory defaults. Once that has happened inclusion works again.

Home Smart Home – Day 2

After a day of experimentation with openHAB I finally decided to first build a prototype system, rather than cutting real wires and putting the actors in between. This is what my prototype looks like:

IMG_20141110_230439

I must say it was in fact a good idea to start this way. The actors did not work yesterday for whatever reason, but after giving them a day to relax now and restarting my rPI they now work just fine. No more messages droppped no nothing. Maybe I will eventually figure out what the problem was, who knows.

On a different note, I tried out HomeGenie today as an alternative to openHAB and will give it a try. It seems a bit more intuitive and easier to setup. I do wonder if it also matches the openHAB capabilities and versatility. More updates soon.

Home Smart Home

End of last week I finally ordered the first few components to start my Smart-Home project. I am basing my setup on Z-Wave because I like the fact that it is an open standard plus there is a USB-controller I can plug into my RaspberryPI.

I’ve now ordered the following components to get started. The goal is to automate illumination of our driveway plus yard:

The ZStick goes straight into my Raspberry and that then runs openHAB. I am already positvely impressed by what openHAB can do. Configuring the binding is also straight forward so far – I have only attached the PIR sensor to trigger virtual light. I do hope to find the time to wire my two switch actors to the outdoor lighting this weekend. I’ll post some pictures as work progresses.